Thursday, June 10, 2010

Big Belly.

I miss my big belly. I know that sounds weird especially considering all the negativity in the world about stretch marks, the pregnant waddle, not being able to see your feet, etc. But I miss being pregnant. Even with all the not-so-fun symptoms that went with it.

I miss looking down and getting excited for baby. I miss talking to Maelee, telling her about what was going on, sharing our feelings about her arrival, singing Jesus Loves Me. I miss our companionship. Our deep bond.

I miss my excitement when I'd feel her move... how it would cause me to grab Greg and make him see her moving, put his hand on my belly and feel her kicks with me. I miss taking video of my belly moving around and around as Maelee did some acrobatic moves.

I miss the way people would look at me, the comments they would make, the joy I was able to share with them. I miss being able to say "it's a girl" and we don't know what we are naming her yet.

I miss spilling stuff and staining all my pregnancy shirts. I miss the shock of thinking these pants look way too big but finding them fit. I miss finding good deals on pregnancy clothes that made my big belly look even cuter.

I miss the thrill of knowing we were about to embark on this crazy journey of parenthood. I miss having Greg take photos on the porch of my belly every week. I miss how Greg would look at me and my belly, with love and anticipation and dreams in his eyes.

I miss feeling so blessed, so amazed that I got to be a mom, so humbled at what was happening in my belly. I miss the feeling of impatience, of wondering when she would arrive, of having her on the outside.

I miss the smell of the lotion I put on my belly every day. I miss wondering if my belly button could get any weirder. I miss hugging people and having my belly get in the way.

I miss having my big belly, a symbol of life and promise. But I mostly miss knowing that my baby was alive and well.

-Heather

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have been pregnant 3 times, resulting in 2 babies & one angel baby. Let me tell you, you will always miss that big crazy belly after each pregnancy. It's magical & exciting to be pregnant & feel each hiccup & kick! We lost our first, making the next 1 very scary. We were able to relax w/ baby 3. I pray you have peace w/ your next big belly, & are able to enjoy your next just as much! I hope more then anything you are blessed w/ a big, stretch marked, stained, crazy belly buttoned belly several more times & feel the joy & craziness of what comes out!

TheSpeights said...

I've often wondered if you felt this way. I've imagined you did. Those were the happy and easy times filled with happiness. That I totally get. I feel like I was just there a week ago, which I think is one reason why I hurt so much with you guys. I want Maelee here for you guys so badly. Life throws you curve balls and we some how we are supposed to deal with it and carry on. I pray that you and Greg are able to deal as best as you can and find a way to make each day work. I love you three and still cry for Maelee. She is so loved, more than I think you guys even know. You are in my prayers every single day.

-court

Anonymous said...

Heather,

I miss your belly, your joy, your happy voice, the light in both your eyes as you awaited your girl and we awaited her announcement. I miss it all with you, for you too. The grief still just about breaks me in half.

Know that you are loved and that we are praying. I was just reminded recently of something Greg posted soon after Maelee's death.... something about being reassured by a pastor/ frineds that you guys will indeed make it through this. Maybe it's worth saying again- YOU WILL. God will see you through this and there will every bit of the grace you need to get through this will be given to you.... and more. Because he is always a God of "much more" even when we don't get the "even though"s that he allows.

May His new mercies and steadfast love surround and uphold you for a new day....

Much love,
jill

Let Love Grow said...

Oh Heather.... I hate that i can't describe what I feel with you as I read this post... and that typing doesn't come close to showing you how I feel...

I am praying for you all still; Love you guys... and look forward to hanging out w/ you sometime soon.

~Tammie